Thursday, December 3, 2015

The Nativity Street in Naples - Via San Gregorio Armeno

There is a street in Naples that sells beautiful statues and decorations for Nativity scenes all year round. This street is called Via San Gregorio Armeno.  The first time I visited I was marveled by all of the hand crafted detail that goes into these pieces of art. 

via Wikipedia
The Nativity Scenes in Naples are like none other in the world. When I first came to live here I had no idea just how big of a deal this was. Some families choose only to make a detailed Nativity Scene instead of a Christmas Tree. Seeing a Neapolitan artist put together a Nativity scene is amazing. Some of them are so elaborate that they figure an entire town.  


This is the street pictured above. It is a very narrow street packed with these little shops. Below is an example of the detail that goes into a Neapolitan Nativity Scene. 

source
Some of them even have waterfalls and rivers in them. There is a system with tubes running in the back that circulate water. Kind of like in a fish tank. 

source
This below for example is a 40 meter Nativity Scene that was donated to a Church. 40 meters is approximately 130 feet. 

source
Here is another version of a nativity scene in the home. You can see Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus in the top right corner. 

source
Needless to say during the Holidays Via San Gregorio Armeno is packed with tourists that come visit from all over the world. 

Here is another shop in the street. As I said before these are all hand made and some of the pieces are very expensive. 


Obviously during the Holidays the street is especially busy with more than half a million visitors from all over the world that come to see the shops. 

I think the Nativities are beautiful and I have never made an elaborate one like the ones pictured above but one day I would like to try. 

However, the true meaning of Christmas is not about Trees or elaborate Nativity Scenes. These material things are beautiful to look at and I love decking the halls but the real meaning is this and only this...



The Birth of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 

Unfortunately I woke up to hear about another tragedy this morning. The San Bernardino Shooting. I have no words.... May God bring Peace on Earth.

Luke 2:14
And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased." When the angels had gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds began saying to one another, "Let us go straight to Bethlehem then, and see this thing that has happened which the Lord has made known to us."…

13 comments:

  1. I presepi Italiani (e in particolare quelli Napoletani), non hanno paragoni. Bellissimi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes I think so as well. Thank you so much for commenting :-)

      Delete
  3. Those look absolutely beautiful. Wonderful post - thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie Maria! I hope you and your family are doing well. I wish you a great weekend :-)

      Delete
  4. Hi Silvana, Love seeing this in Naples, home town of my grandmother. The scenes are just so detailed and beautiful. I do a post with a set my mother created and this reminds me of that. Thank you for sharing and I hope one day I can visit in this wonderful place.
    Have a great weekend xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever decide to come to Naples let me know so we can meet up for a cafe' :-)

      Delete
  5. Incredible craftsmanship. I have a friend who collects small nativity scenes. But nothing like these. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy! Thanks for your comment. They truly are amazing to see up close. I'm sure your friend would love to visit this place. Have a great weekend!

      Delete